Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Haircuts

Yes, its been awhile, but I'm back!  A lot has changed since I moved back to Milwaukee, but I'll talk more about that in another post. 

This post is about haircuts, yes, haircuts.  Who knew how difficult it would be to get a decent, affordable haircut here.  The last few months, I've been going to a local supercuts.  Its not anything special, but its relatively cheap.  The proximity and cost have been my primary reasons for me to continue to frequent the place, as well as the quick walk in service, but last week, that all changed.  I tried going last week on a Saturday.  I walked in fully expecting to get my hair buzzed quickly and being in and out in 15 - 20 minutes.  I tried walking in around 5:45 to a full lobby.  There were quite a few people sitting on the benches.  One of the hair stylists told me that since it was nearly 6pm and there were 3 people in front of me, they wouldn't be able to service me today.  So, I walked out and drove over to cost cutter, which was just a few minutes away also.  And strike two, they had closed at 6 pm also.  From the parking lot there, I checked on great clips from my phone and strike three, they had closed already.  And I'm out!

I tried again a few days later, this time on a weekday and much earlier, 4pm.  I drove to supercuts and there was no one in the lobby, but there was only one stylist and she was cutting a woman's hair.  She told me it would be at least half an hour and gave me a $2 coupon for a future haircut.  Rather than wait, I figured since it was only 4pm, I'd beat any after work rushes at the next place.  This time, I thought I'd be a little smarter and call cost cutters while running across the street to Target.  The wait at cost cutters was an hour and a half, strike two again!  I looked up great clips again and called over.  They lady said there was a 10 min wait, so I said, great, put me on the list please.  She proceeded to tell me that they had this great app for your smart phone in which you could check in.  I told her that I was on my phone speaking to her and asked whether she could put me on the list, which she could not since it was walk in only, unless you checked in via your app....explain that one to me.  Steeeeerike three....again! 

I guess that's why in Chicago, for years, I went to State Street Barbers and then to another salon, where my stylist went to after leaving there.  Although, more expensive, the service level was so much better.  The few dollars extra was worth it in the conversation of knowing someone for a while by itself.  Not counting the hot lather straight razor neck shave, need I even mention any more?  Luckily, I had heard that my stylist had moved to Milwaukee.  Hopefully, I'll find a place soon where I'll be able to get a decent haircut at a fixed time soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment