Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Feasting



                                                              Enormous pot of sticky rice


                                                                 The rest of the feast

The holidays, as I'm sure is the same for most people, is all about eating.  I sure did my fair share this past xmas.  Its worked out nicely between Kelly and I for splitting time w/our families.  We always spend xmas eve w/her mom's side.  Christmas day is always at my house and then at night her dad's side gets together, although I didn't go this year. 

Above are two photos of the feast that occurs all day and night at my house.  The attendance this year was a little lighter than most, but still respectable.  There were probably around 20-25 people this year.  I'm not sure what the largest attendance ever was, but I'm guessing somewhere in the 50 range.  When I was younger it was a really big deal.  We'd all eat and take lots of pics in front of the same 'ol plastic tree and all the kids, there were a lot of us, would get our gifts and open them.  It was a lot of fun.  Recently, with the newest generation of kids, it feels like we're coming back to that excitement level again.  There's a lot more fuss around the kids and certainly many m gifts around the tree.  Its very nice to see. 

The food is awesome and varied.  The first pic shows a massive bowl of sticky rice.  The rest of the spread is consists of part asian and part normal xmas dishes.  We always have the same punch, OJ, sprite, and rainbow sherbet.  This year we also had ham, smoked salmon, curry fishballs, mini wrapped dogs, pinwheels, spaghetti, potato and fruit salad, shrimp cocktail, a variety of desserts and more.  Usually we eat then open gifts.  Then a few people leave, and some of them come back during which we'll nap and/or rent movies.  Later, we'll eat more and watch movies.  Its a beautiful, waist expanding, time.  Now I gotta get back in the gym.  Maybe next year I'll actually contribute a dish. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment