Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tamales!

For whatever reason, I have an obsession with tamales.  Maybe because they're usually very cheap.  Probably because they're hard to find.  Definitely because I enjoy street food. 

I've had tamales twice from a 'street guy.'  One time from a cart guy on Bryn Mawr and another time at Will's from a guy going bar to bar.  5 for $5, its a beautiful thing.  Everytime I drive along Montrose on my way to Milwaukee or on the way back I dream about stopping.  Kelly never lets me, but soon!  Soon I tell you!

The other day, I was in Albany Park, by Kedzie and Irving, visiting a friends new condo.  I saw 2 carts that looked promising and my stomach was very excited.  I parked and walk a block to the corner of Kedzie and Cullom to find my treasure only to find one cart was a fruit cart and another only sold tacos and tortas.  Not to be denied. I saw another cart being pushed down the street away from me and ran, yes ran, 2 blocks after her, only to be denied once more.  To my great disappointment, it was not to be that day. 

If only there was a tamale truck that came by my apartment or office everyday.....   One can hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment