Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Cookbooks

I really like cookbooks.  Like most people I'm sure, I especially like bright, lively, books with pictures of what the meal 'could' and 'should' look like.  These cookbooks are all fine and dandy, but recently I realized that for me anyways, they haven't been all that useful and utilized.  More importatly, I suppose, I've come across a book thats been a lot more helpful and enlightening.  One thats actually been tucked away, unopened, for probably 2 years. 

I decided to open the book for some reason a few weeks back and it was a revelation.  I had been using recipes found online and in books or just cooking things be experimenting,  without necessarily knowing what I was doing, or the techniques I was using.  This book, more like a binder, on how to cook is broken up and indexed very well.  Basically, its broken up into types of food (i.e. beef, vegetables, eggs, bread, etc).  On top of that it expains different techniques such as braising, roasting, and more.  The book goes into the types of meats, veggies, and other foods and how best to prepare them.  I found it very interesting and as I was reading, felt a lot of gaps fill in in my missing food knowledge.  Gaps I wasn't even sure were there.  I'd definitely suggest it so check it out.  And of course, there are a lot of recipes to choose from!

1 comment:

  1. My mom loves Taste of Home - I think she has this cookbook!

    ReplyDelete