Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Goose Island Brewery Tour

I really enjoy brewery tours.  I enjoy learning about the brewing process, seeing the facilities, hearing the history, and of course, most importantly, tasting the different styles of beer.  I've toured Miller Brewery (a few times) (Milwaukee, WI), New Glarus Brewery (New Glarus, WI), Metropolitan Brewery (Chicago, IL), New Holland Brewery (New Holland, MI), and just recently, Goose Island Brewery (Chicago, IL).

This past Sunday, the Chapman Bros., Scott Tydell, and myself did the tour.  Coincidentally, also ran into Ian Dickman and family (another groomsman in Scott's wedding) who toured with us.  The tour was at the Goose Island in Lincoln Park.  They have a brewpub in Wrigleyville and a production facility, which I found out about on the tour, by Fulton Market. 

The tour itself was just ok.  Cost was $10, which wasn't a big deal.  A guy takes you into the brewery facilities and tells you about the history, the different beers they brew, and the processes.  Although informative, it was a little cramped and quite warm in the facility.  Tours tend to be somewhat similar in that all tour guides talk a little about the process of brewing and the ingredients.  This one was the same. 

The second part of the tour was much better.  They took us into a party room where 6 tasting were set out, light to dark.  We sampled all six and he told us which ones they were.  They were a Wit, a Hefeweizen, a Saison, an Ale, Brown Ale, and a Stout.  All were tasty minus the Hefe.  I generally like them, but this one was a little too gumball/banana sweet for my liking.  We did get a Goose Island Summertime glass to keep which was nice. 

One thing I like about the breweries here which I never noticed in Milwaukee are that you can bring home Growlers, basically jugs of beer.  I know that Goose Island, Piece, and Half Acre do it.  I'm sure others do as well.  Absolutely LOVE that!

Sidenote:  Although I didn't investigate (I'm taking the word of a server at GI Lincoln Park), the menu there is more sophisticated than the Wrigleyville one.  Seems kind of strange that with only 2 brewpubs that they would differ the menus. 


No comments:

Post a Comment