Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I Love Brunch!

Brunch is by far my favorite meal.  I like it because you can have breakfast foods or lunch food.  Its casual, low key, and there's no rush usually.  I love the big famous brunch places where there's a big buffet, an omelet station, and another mini menu of specialty items.  My family used to go to 2 places that I absolutely loved and unfortunately are no longer there.  Pieces of Eight and Pandl's in Bayside.  Both had my previous requirements for amazing brunch places.

This past weekend, while attending the Walker/Chapman wedding, I had the pleasure of getting brunch both saturday and sunday in Evanston.  On Saturday, 6 of us, including the Mike, had brunch at Dixie Kitchen, a cajun style place.  The decor was made to look like Louisiana which was a nice touch.  I was, however, thwarted by the liquor gods in that they don't serve alcohol in Evanston until 11 am.  We all started with beignets...not sure if I've ever had one before, but I'm glad that I did.  Basically fried sweet dough and powdered sugar.  I continued my sweet brunch with a bananas foster french toast.  Very good, very sweet.  Too much sweet for me in the end, but I'm glad that I tried it.

Sunday, we went to Le Peep with a much larger group.  Of course we didn't have reservations and had to wait a little bit.  We ended up splitting 15 into 6,6, and 3.  This time decided to go savory with a Crab Cake Benedict.  It was excellent. 

Who's in for brunch?  Bloody Mary, Coffee, Mimosa, or all 3?

1 comment:

  1. I love brunch... too bad we were too early for booze in Evanston. Coffee AND a mimosa would be my choice!

    ReplyDelete