Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Pulled/Shredded Pork - slow cooker

I love using the slow cooker.  I've used it to make chili and pot roast primarily, but have now added shredded pork to my repertoire.  Prep time is easy and short and then you sit back and wait.  The low, slow heat ends up doing all the heat for you and if you stay in your place all day, its a nice long slow tease of yummy aromas.  Makes it that much more satisfying when you do finally get to eat it. 

This slow cooker recipe was just as easy as all my previous ones.  I looked up a few recipes and then just made a combo one of my own. 

Large 2-3 LB piece of pork shoulder/roast
Couple cloves of garlic
Rough cut onion
Seasoning salt
Water/Beef Broth

First rough cut an onion and garlic and throw it in.  Season the pork.  Shoulder/Roast are fairly cheap.  My piece was a little over 2 LB's and was less than $6.  The beauty with slow cookers is that they're perfect for cheaper pieces of meat.  The long, slow heat slowly tenderizes it.  Then add a few cups of water/beef broth, no need to cover.  That's it.  Set your timer and let it do all the work.

When finished, put the pork on a large bowl.  Discard everything else.  Grab two forks and start pulling apart.  Its very easy, the meat just shreds.



Once down, do what you wants with it.  I made pulled pork sandwiches.  I added barbecue sauce and mixed it in.  Put that on a bun, added a few pickles and served with slaw on the side.  You could also have some pulled pork tacos too.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment